The Power of Continuous Penetration Testing
As organisations continue to become more reliant on technology, cyber security threats become more frequent and sophisticated. With more and more data being stored online, it’s crucial that organisations protect their systems and data from cyber attacks. Penetration testing is an effective way to identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses in an organisation’s cyber security defences, but traditional penetration testing has limitations. That’s where continuous penetration testing comes in. In this blog, we’ll explore the benefits of continuous penetration testing and introduce Razor’s Edge, our new continuous penetration testing platform.
The Limitations of Traditional, Periodic Penetration Testing
While periodic penetration testing can be an effective method for identifying vulnerabilities in an organisation’s systems and networks, as well as being a measure of compliance standards such as HIPPA, ISO 27001, NIST, GDPR and PCI DSS, it also has its drawbacks. Some of the limitations include:
- Snapshot in time: Penetration testing provides only a snapshot of an organisation’s security posture at a specific point in time. Once the testing is complete, any vulnerabilities that occur afterwards may not be identified until the next scheduled assessment, leaving the organisation exposed to potential attacks in the interim.
- False sense of security: Periodic penetration testing can give organisations a false sense of security, leading them to believe that their systems and networks are secure when they may not be. If vulnerabilities are not identified, managed and remediated between testing periods, cyber attackers may have ample time to exploit them, increasing the risk of compromise.
- Expensive: Penetration testing can be expensive, especially for large organisations. Conducting regular tests can quickly become cost prohibitive, making it difficult for organisations to maintain regular testing schedules.
What is Continuous Penetration Testing?
Traditional penetration testing involves conducting a one-time assessment of an organisation’s security posture. The penetration tester identifies vulnerabilities, exploits the access provided, and generates a report on their findings to the organisation. While this method can be effective, it has limitations. Penetration testing only provides a snapshot of an organisation’s security posture at a specific point in time. Once the testing is complete, any vulnerabilities that are introduced to the system or network may not be identified until the next scheduled assessment.
Continuous penetration testing, on the other hand, is an ongoing process of identifying, verifying, and testing vulnerabilities in an organisation’s systems and networks, with the provision of remediation guidance where possible. This approach facilitates the continuous monitoring and remediation of vulnerabilities by an organisation, reducing the risk of a successful cyber attack.
The Benefits of Continuous Penetration Testing
- Continuous monitoring: Continuous penetration testing provides ongoing monitoring of an organisation’s systems and networks. This allows for vulnerabilities to be identified and remediated in real-time, reducing the risk of a successful cyber attack.
- Improved security posture: Continuous penetration testing indicates the level of maturity of an organisations cyber framework and helps to improve an organisation’s overall security posture by identifying vulnerabilities and weaknesses in real-time. This allows for proactive remediation of vulnerabilities, reducing the likelihood of system and network breach attempts.
- Compliance: Many organisations are required to comply with regulatory requirements such as HIPAA, PCI DSS, or GDPR. Continuous penetration testing helps organisations comply with these requirements by providing ongoing monitoring and identification of vulnerabilities.
- Better risk management: Continuous penetration testing helps organisations to better manage cyber security risks by identifying vulnerabilities and weaknesses in real-time. This allows for proactive remediation of vulnerabilities, reducing the likelihood of a successful cyber attack.
Introducing Razor’s Edge
Unlike traditional periodic penetration testing, which only provides a snapshot in time, Razor’s Edge continuously scans an organisation’s systems and networks for vulnerabilities, providing real time feedback and remediation guidance. This allows organisations to identify and address vulnerabilities quickly, reducing the risk of breach attempts.
Razor’s Edge uses a combination of manual and automated testing techniques to identify vulnerabilities. You can choose from a range of service levels, allowing organisations to tailor their vulnerability management strategies to their specific needs, risk profiles and budget requirements.
Key Features of Razor’s Edge
One of the key features of Razor’s Edge is the manual vulnerability verification stage with oversight from experienced, CREST accredited penetration testers and security analysts to ensure all new vulnerabilities are identified and verified immediately to provide you with the necessary assurance that your infrastructure has suitable security measures in place to help protect against the latest threats. All testing is conducted in line with current industry best practice and, in the case of application testing specifically, the guidance provided by OWASP.
Another key aspect is the advanced reporting capabilities. The platform provides detailed reports on confirmed vulnerabilities, including the severity of each vulnerability, detailed evidence relating to each vulnerability and remediation guidance. Using our inbuilt vulnerability management mechanic, this information can be used by organisations to prioritise remediation efforts and ensure that the most critical vulnerabilities are addressed first.
Razor’s Edge also includes a user friendly and simple interface that allows all types of organisational personnel the ability to monitor their vulnerabilities in real time. The dashboard provides a comprehensive overview of an organisation’s vulnerability threat landscape, including the number and severity rating of identified vulnerabilities.
Razor’s Edge provides organisations with a more comprehensive and proactive approach to security testing. By continuously monitoring systems and networks for vulnerabilities and exploiting critical vulnerabilities, Razor’s Edge helps organisations reduce the risk of a successful cyber attack and maintain a strong security posture. With advanced reporting capabilities, seamless integration with other cyber security tools, and a user-friendly interface, Razor’s Edge is an essential tool for organisations looking to stay ahead of evolving cyber threats.
Continuous penetration testing is a crucial component of any cyber security framework. Traditional penetration testing has limitations, and organisations need to be able to identify and remediate vulnerabilities in real time to reduce the risk of a successful cyber attack. Continuous penetration testing solutions provide ongoing monitoring and facilitate the remediation of vulnerabilities, improving an organisation’s overall security posture and framework maturity. Razor’s Edge makes continuous penetration testing accessible and cost effective for organisations of all sizes.
Contact us today to learn more about how Razor’s Edge can help improve your organisation’s cyber security defences.
Talk To Us About Your Requirements
Submit your details and a Razorthorn consultant will be in touch for a free, initial consultation.
SERVICE: Continuous Penetration Testing
SERVICE: Penetration Testing